'Impeach' Trump billboard to remain, despite confusing claims that it must come down

 
 ] Hide Caption  ] Show Caption

An IMPEACH Donald Trump sign, paid for by the California-based Courage Campaign, debuted on the Bay Bridge. Sept. 25, 2017

 
 ] Hide Caption  ] Show Caption

The left-wing Courage Campaign paid $1,500 for this IMPEACH Donald Trump billboard on the Bay Bridge for a week. Sept. 25, 2017

Posted: Sep 26 2017 10:48PM PDT

Updated: Sep 27 2017 07:33AM PDT

OAKLAND, Calif. - Despite an email sent to a progressive group telling them their IMPEACH Donald Trump billboard near the Bay Bridge was taken down, the company that manages the site told KTVU on Wednesday morning that the sign is up and will run for one week as planned.

Carly Zipp, spokeswoman for Outfront Media, told KTVU in an email: "It is not being taken down early because of complaints. It is running in its entirety. The ad is currently running. I double-checked with my SF team."

California @CourageCampaign received this @OutfrontMediaUS email. But Impeach Trump billboard will remain https://t.co/Tzu59mptD4 pic.twitter.com/KdGQ5JqlcD

— Lisa Fernandez (@ljfernandez) September 27, 2017

And as of Wednesday, the rotating billboard with a scowling Trump, was still staring at motorists traveling between San Francisco and Oakland. However the discrepancy over whether the billboard was up or not had many people scratching their heads. News trucks were sent out. Erroneous stories were published.

Zipp later said in an email that there was an "internal miscommunication" about whether the billboard was staying up or not.

The miscommunication came about 3:30 p.m. PST on Tuesday, according to Madison Donzis, spokeswoman for the California-based Courage Campaign, which paid $1,500 to have the billboard up from Monday until Sunday. The group chose the Bay Bridge as the first spot in the state to test out the sign.

Donzis provided KTVU an email from Outfront Media, sent by employee Matt Molina, that read: "I am emailing you to let you know that we have taken down your billboard due to multiple complaints." The email said if there were any questions to call Zipp.

That prompted the Courage Campaign to fire off a press release on Tuesday complaining of Outdoor Media's alleged censorship. Executive director Eddie Kurtz said, "I just think it's outrageous that they did this," adding that it makes no sense.

On Wednesday, both Kurtz and Donzis told KTVU they were happy that the initial call to take down the billboard seems to have been sorted out, although they still didn't know for sure why they received an email stating the billboard had already been taken down.

"Yes, it's been really confusing," Donzis said. 

EDITOR'S NOTE: An earlier version of this story incorrectly stated that the billboard had already come down.

false
false
false
Up Next:


false
false
false
false
false
false

Stories You May Be Interested In - Includes Advertiser Stories 

false
false
false