Roasted Banana and Chocolate Chip Muffins
Recipe from Olivia Colt, Salt & Honey Catering + Events
Yield: 12 muffins
• 1 cup roasted and mashed ripe bananas (about 2 large)
• 1 cup all-purpose flour
• ½ cup whole-wheat flour
• 1/3 cup granulated sugar
• 1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
• 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1 large egg
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• ½ teaspoon almond extract (optional)
• 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
• 1/4 cup milk
• 3/4 cup bittersweet chocolate chips (I prefer the Ghirardelli brand)
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Place bananas in skin on a cookie sheet and roast for 30-45 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool. Peel, mash and set aside.
2. Reduce temperature on oven to 350°F. Line 12 muffin cups with cupcake liners.
3. Mix all purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, baking powder and salt in large bowl. Mix mashed bananas, egg, vanilla extract, almond extract (if using), melted butter and milk in medium bowl. Stir banana mixture into dry ingredients just until blended (do not over-mix). Stir in chocolate chips.
4. Divide batter among prepared muffin cups, filling each about 3/4 full. Bake muffins for about 28-32 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Transfer muffins to rack; cool.
Can swap half or all of the butter for melted coconut oil.
Can swap milk for almond milk.