Ryan Farr’s Harissa Baked Chicken Wings
2 cups Harissa (recipe follows)
Chicken Wings, flats and drums divided, tips reserved for stock
2 Lemons, cut into wedges
½ bunch Picked Cilantro
2 cups House White BBQ
Harissa is a north African spice. People generally associate it with a paste, but this recipe will let you make a dry seasoning powder to toss on your wings before popping them in the oven.
Sea Salt .5 c
Ancho powder .5c
Granulated garlic 1/3c
Red pepper 1T
Fennel 1.5 tsp
Dry spearmint 1.5 tsp
White BBQ Sauce is very common throughout Alabama and the South East. It’s a mayo based BBQ sauce, and commonly referred to as Alabama White Sauce. While it’s great on all kinds of BBQ, it especially shines smoked chicken in general and especially chicken wings.
House White BBQ:
Mayo, preferably Helman’s or Best Foods 2 cups
Pickled Jalapeno Liquid from a jar (save the jalapenos for topping your “Chich-achos”) 2 TBL
Salt .5 tsp
Pepper .5 tsp
Ground Coriander .5 tsp
1) Mix all ingredients in Harissa dry rub and set aside
2) Mix all ingredients in House White BBQ and set aside.
3) Preheat oven to 400f. Set a wire rack inside two large baking sheets.
4) Toss wings with extra virgin olive oil and Harissa spice in a large bowl and divide between racks in a single layer.
5) Bake wings until cooked through and skin is crispy, 30-45 minutes.
6) Platter wings and top with picked cilantro. Serve with lemon wedges and House White BBQ sauce on the side.
4505 Game Day Pork Spare Ribs
If you cook your ribs ahead of time so you aren’t stressing during your party, you can follow this technique to give them a little char on your grill to heat them back up, caramelize the bark, and enjoy!
3 racks Spare Ribs
1 Cup Rib Rub (recipe follows)
½ cp Heinz Yellow Mustard
2 TBL Apple Cider Vinegar
¼ Cup BBQ Sauce
Rib Rub Recipe:
Sea Salt 8 TBL
Brown Sugar 3.5 TBL
Coarse Grind Black Pepper 3 TBL
Red Pepper Flakes .25 TBL
Ground Ginger 1.25 TBL
1) Preheat oven to 220f
2) Mix all ingredients in pork dry rub and set aside
3) Take your rib rack, flip it over so the bone and silver skin is showing and trim off the extra flap of meat hanging off. This can be tossed in spice rub and cooked with the ribs, then chopped and used to top your “Chich-achos”.
4) Very important: pull of the sinew from the back of the rack of ribs, this will help the meat fall off the bone.
5) Turn the rack back over, so the meat side is showing, and brush liberally with yellow mustard.
6) Season with the rib rub, coating both sides evenly, approx. 1/3 cp of seasoning per rack of ribs
7) Repeat on remaining two racks.
8) Place on a baking sheet and cook approx. 2hrs. Then flip every 30 minutes, brushing with your favorite BBQ sauce for the next 1-2 hrs until the meat starts to fall away from the bone.
9) Transfer to a cutting board and cut between the bones to separate (it can help to flip the rack over so you can more easily see the bones).
10) Transfer to a platter and serve with extra BBQ sauce on the side.
*Chef’s Tip: You can do steps 1 thru 7 ahead of time so you aren’t stressing during your party, and give them a little char on your grill to heat them back up, caramelize the bark and enjoy!
Chicharrones Nachos AKA Chich-achos
Chicharrones are a great low-carb and protein-packed alternative to traditional corn tortilla chips. We have added the following ingredient list as suggestions, but feel free to add your own toppings such as pulled chicken or pork, sour cream, guacamole, or whatever else you prefer so as to personalize your dish.
5 ounces 4505 Chicharrones
Queso dip (recipe follows)
Other ingredients if desired
Unsalted Butter 2 TBL
Medium Onion, diced ½ ea
Poblano Chile, diced 2 ea
Garlic Cloves, minced 1 ea
Roma Tomatoes, medium, minced 2 ea
Crystal Hot Sauce ¼ cp
Heavy Cream ¾ cp
Velveeta 1 LB
1) First, make your queso:
a. Sautee onion, Poblano chile, and garlic in butter until soft but not browned.
b. Add Tomatoes and cook until juices are evaporated
c. Add heavy cream, crystal hot sauce and bring to a low simmer
d. Add cubes of Velveeta, and cook whisking constantly until melted
2) Cover platter with one layer of Chicharrones and cover with queso, beans, and salsa. Add a second or third layer of chicharrones and ingredients, per your taste. Top with Cilantro and Jalapeños.